Saturday, September 20, 2014

"Ground Zero"

    Reading Suzanne Berne's descriptive writing on "Ground Zero" brought up many emotions, as it always does, while reading or seeing anything on the terrorist attacks of the Twin Towers from 9/11. I can still remember where I was at that exact moment in my life, as I'm sure everybody does. I was in 8th grade, Mrs. Auito's class. It's crazy to me, how something can have such a huge impact on your life. I also remember not fulling understanding what exactly was going on, especially the extremeness of it. It wasn't long after though, I finally realized what had just happened and how so many peoples lives were affected and changed forever by it.
     How could anyone have so much hate in themselves and towards others, to do such a horrible, heartless, selfish thing. It blows my mind. My heart goes out to the family members and friends of  all the victims, and even the people who were there to witness it all and even survive it. It just goes to show you that you never know what can happen at any split second of your day and that life really can be way too short.
     Berne's does a good job at describing the atmosphere of New York where the towers once stood and how different it is now. People from all over coming to visit the site, even though there is nothing left to see. I can just imagine, the once busy, fast past, loud environment now just still and silent as people are in awe of what use to be. As Berne's states, "Whether the people are motivated by curiosity or horror or reverence or grief, or by something confusing that combines it all - that space fills up again.".

Work Cited:
Berne, Suzanne. "Ground Zero." Patterns for College Writing: A Rhetorical Reader and Guide. Twelfth Edidition. Ed. Laurie Kirszner and Stephen Mandell. Boston. New York


* Sorry, I still don't fully understand how to do the MLA formats for citing work.

No comments:

Post a Comment