Monday, September 15, 2014

"Pink Floyd Night School"

     Everyone may not agree with the advice Mark Edmundson is trying to portray in "Pink Floyd Night School", but thinking about it, I find it to be very interesting and somewhat smart. The ideal situation after graduating High School is to go right to college. I mean, everyone starts asking you at a young age, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" It must be to get you thinking and have your decision made up by graduation day, right? Everyone tries to drill it into your head that the only way to be successful in life is to get good grades and go right to college to get a good education. I'm sure for many young adults, that's something that is a major priority in their family or they feel they need to keep up their family's business or be just as successful as their parents or older siblings because if not, they will be looked down on and that can put a lot of shame on someone.
     I believe Edmudson makes a very good point though, saying to take things slow after high school. You still have your whole life a head of you, why rush anything. I know a lot of people who thought they knew what they wanted to do after high school, went to college, spent all that money for their degree and ended up hating it in the end. If you take time to figure out what's really important to you and what really interests you, instead of rushing into something you aren't even sure about, you will actually be saving yourself time in the end. Its like the saying, "Find something you love doing and you'll never work a day in your life."  I think this is the main message Edmudsons is trying to hint in this piece of writing and I couldn't agree more.

1 comment:

  1. As you heard last Saturday, I was one of those who rushed off to college to get a job. You also heard how that backfired. My experience, as well as my years of observation of students throughout the years I've worked in higher education, has definitely made me rethink how I approach the importance of college with my own children. I want them to go. Of course, I do. However, I also want them to take some time to figure out what exactly they want to do when they're done.

    ReplyDelete